Friday, May 1, 2009

It Is Not What You Know, It's Who You Know

"It Is Not What You Know, It's Who You Know.
For True Learning Does Not Come From Staring At Words On A Page,
But Rather From 'Experiencing Knowledge' Through The Guidance And Companionship Of Others.
Such Learning Is The Kind Which Integrates Itself Into The Library Of What One Knows."

- Modified From A Popular Saying, David Julio Wang

Back in school, I was jealous of the kids who had study groups.
I felt too self-conscious and unworthy to ask if I could join, but even then, I knew that they were partaking in the secret to good grades.
Sharing their knowledge.
Sharing their mental faculties.
Sharing in the companionship and support of engaging in difficult tasks with others, not alone.

Quizzing is the best way to cement knowledge into one's head.
The give and take exchange of data layers the information securely in the mind by virtue of repetition.

====

I have spent so much of my life trying to do things myself,
to not bother others,
to have the satisfaction of doing things myself,
alone and unaided,
like a true hero.

But,
a great deal of time has passed,
and I have not achieved the degree of knowledge I have wanted for myself.

I must admit,
I think the stimulation of the presence of others does not but enhance one's studying.

====

Finally,
I feel that the fact Quizzing is so effective at cementing knowledge should change school completely,
and insure that All Students succeed in memorizing vast quantities of data.

How?
Lessons could be designed which would end with a scripted series of quiz questions which students could mutually take and engage in quizzing one another, back and forth, to insure that the material was thoroughly reviewed by both parties.

I believe everyone can do anything.
There is just no reason anyone should not succeed in school.

No child left behind.
Sounds good to me. -_- ;

No comments:

Post a Comment